King County Judge Denies Wolf Groups’ Request For Preliminary Injunction Against Removal

A King County Superior Court judge this afternoon denied a request for a preliminary injunction against a now-expired WDFW lethal removal permit for one wolf from a Northeast Washington pack.

Judge Suzanne Parisien “found that petitioners had not established a likelihood of prevailing on the merits of the case,” according to WDFW, which also reports at least two depredations by Ferry County’s Sherman Pack since court hearings began earlier this month.

On October 14, the petitioners, which included Washington Wildlife First, got a King County Superior Court commissioner to issue a temporary restraining order against WDFW blocking removal of a wolf in response to livestock attacks in late September and early October.

At that time, Commissioner Mark Hillman stated, “Weighing the downside for the state versus the downside for the wolves, frankly, the wolves would lose if I don’t grant the injunction,” according to the Capital Press.

Later that same day, WDFW investigated a confirmed wolf attack on a calf that had to subsequently be put down due to its injuries, and the agency investigated another confirmed wolf attack that resulted in injuries to a calf on October 23.

The granting of the TRO by the commissioner – an official appointed by superior court judges to oversee lower level court functions – followed the October 9 issuance of a lethal removal permit by WDFW Deputy Director Amy Windrope that was effective through October 15.

I apologize for inflicting this upon you on Halloween, and, yes, today’s news from court is confusing as hell because it is about something that was valid in the past but no longer is – the removal permit – and the actions of two different court officials who came to different conclusions about said permit.

But it will provide some vindication for WDFW that it was acting under its standing wolf management plan and depredation response protocols and allow Washington Wildlife First to say they saved a wolf from a pack that has a verifiable and continuing taste for rancher beef.

Asked early this evening if WDFW was now considering a new lethal removal permit for the October 23 calf attack, which makes for four confirmed attacks by the Sherman Pack inside a one-month window, a WDFW spokesman said they’d track that down for me on Monday.

Trick or treat – you tell me.