Sockeye Fishing To Open On Part Of Skagit River
THE FOLLOWING IS A RULE CHANGE NOTICE FROM THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE
Portion of the Skagit River to open for sockeye fishing
Action: Opens sockeye retention in portions of the Skagit River.
Effective date: June 16 through July 15, 2022.
Species affected: Sockeye salmon.
Location: Skagit River (Skagit Co.); from the Hwy. 536 bridge (Memorial Hwy Bridge) in Mt. Vernon to the Dalles Bridge at Concrete. (CRC 830)
Rule: Min. size 12”. Daily limit 2 sockeye. Release all salmon other than sockeye. Night closure in effect. Selective gear rules are not in effect for salmon.
Reason for action: Harvestable numbers of sockeye are forecast to return to the Baker system.
Additional information: Selective gear rules remain in effect for gamefish. If anglers are not following selective gear rules, all species other than sockeye must be released. Please see pamphlet for gamefish rules in these sections. The current Sport Fishing Rules pamphlet is in effect through June 30, 2022. The 2022-2023 pamphlet goes into effect July 1, 2022. The new regulations should be available in late June.
Sockeye harvest in the river fishery will be limited to 20 percent of state share. The remaining 80 percent will be reserved for Baker Lake opportunity. The split was agreed to between anglers during public sockeye workshops held in 2014 and 2015. Current river sport share is over 1,600 fish, but the exact number could change with in-season run-size updates.
There will be periodic closures to prevent conflicts during tribal fisheries. In-season closures will be announced as soon as possible. Consider downloading the Fish Washington app or signing up for fishery change notifications by email at https://wdfw.wa.gov/about/lists.
The fishery will be actively monitored by WDFW. Anglers are asked to cooperate with creel personnel collecting catch information. Monitoring and evaluation of fisheries is an important part of ensuring we are meeting our conservation goals for salmon.
Information contact: Mill Creek Regional Office, 425-775-1311