Free Youth Pheasant Hunts Coming Up In Oregon; Registration Open
THE FOLLOWING IS A PRESS RELEASE FROM THE OREGON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE
Youth hunters (age 17 and under) can sign up now for ODFW’s free pheasant hunts happening around the state starting in September, with an additional few hunt dates in October.
ODFW and partners stock pheasants at these special hunts that give youth a head start on regular pheasant seasons, which don’t begin until October. They are mostly held on ODFW’s wildlife areas, with a few exceptions (see more detail on locations below).
There are multiple dates and hunt locations to choose from and some events have multiple hunt times to choose from. Register by logging in to the youth’s account at MyODFW’s Licensing page. Then go to Purchase from the Catalog and look under the Category/ Class/Workshop / Outdoor Skills. Hunts are listed alphabetically by city name. If you do not see the event you want to register for, please call the local hunt location (see below). Note that registration is only online; it is not available at license sale agents.
These events are open only to youth who have passed hunter education. Volunteers bring their trained hunting dogs to some events. Some events also host a shooting skills session before the hunt.
The hunts are free, though participants need a valid hunting license ($10 for youth 12 and older, free for age 11 and under) to hunt. Youth hunters age 12-17 also need an upland game bird validation ($4). Purchase before the event, online or at a license sales agent. Licenses and validations will not be sold at the events.
Some areas will host the event both Saturday and Sunday. Youth who register for one day are welcome to hunt stand by on the other day.
“Youth pheasant hunts are a great chance for young hunters to find early success and put the lessons learned in hunter education to work in the field,” said Jered Goodwin, ODFW hunter education coordinator.
See page 26-27 of the Oregon Game Bird Regulations for more information, or see https://myodfw.com/workshops-and-events for the local contact for each hunt. For help signing up, contact Myrna Britton, (503) 947-6028, Myrna.B.Britton@odfw.oregon.gov
Event dates follow:
- Central Point, Denman Wildlife Area, Sept. 17 and Sept. 18.
- Coquille, Coquille Valley Wildlife Area, Sept. 24 and 25.
- Corvallis (near Camp Adair), EE Wilson Wildlife Area, Sept. 24 and Sept. 25.
- Eugene, Fern Ridge Wildlife Area, Sept. 10 and Sept. 11. Advance registration not required.
- Irrigon Wildlife Area (between Irrigon and Umatilla), Sept. 24 and Sept. 25. Sign up for morning or evening hunt.
- Klamath Falls, Klamath Wildlife Area, Sept. 17 and Sept. 18. Additional hunt on Oct. 22 in Miller Island Unit (hunting is on a first come basis for the Oct. 22 hunt). No registration required.
- John Day Valley, Sept. 17 and Sept. 18.
- La Grande, Ladd Marsh Wildlife Area, Sept. 17 and Sept. 18. No advance registration required.
- Madras, private lands, Sept. 17 and Sept. 18. Sign up for one of several three-hour hunting shifts.
- Portland, Sauvie Island Wildlife Area, Sept. 17 and Sept. 18.
- Tygh Valley/The Dalles, White River Wildlife Area, Sept. 24 and Sept. 25.