THE FOLLOWING WDFW FISHING REPORT WAS TRANSMITTED BY BRYANT SPELLMAN
Columbia River Mainstem from the mouth upstream to McNary Dam
- From the Buoy 10 line upstream to the Highway 395 Bridge at Pasco:
- Closed to angling for and retention of salmon and steelhead.
Columbia River Tributaries
Elochoman River – No anglers sampled.
Cowlitz River – I-5 Br downstream: 62 bank rods kept 15 coho jacks and released 1 chinook jack and 4 coho jacks. 9 boats/46 rods kept 6 coho, 27 coho jacks and released 1 chinook, 6 chinook jacks, and 2 coho jacks.
Above the I-5 Br: 60 bank rods released 27 chinook and 1 coho jack. 21 boats/30 rods kept 7 coho jacks, 2 steelhead and released 21 chinook, 1 chinook jack and 2 coho.
Last week, Tacoma Power employees recovered 1,093 coho adults, 2,210 coho jacks, 162 fall Chinook adults, 34 fall Chinook jacks, 107 cutthroat trout and 19 summer-run steelhead adults during seven days of operations at the Cowlitz Salmon Hatchery separator.
During the past week, Tacoma Power released 141 coho adults and 165 coho jacks into the Cispus River near Randle, and they released 191 coho adults and 425 coho jacks at the Franklin Bridge release site in Packwood.
Tacoma Power released 353 coho adults, 1026 coho jacks, 28 fall Chinook adults, 13 fall Chinook jacks and four cutthroat trout into the Tilton River at Gust Backstrom Park in Morton, and they released 283 coho adults, 597 coho jacks and one cutthroat trout into Lake Scanewa in Randle.
River flows at Mayfield Dam are approximately 3,540 cubic feet per second on Monday, Oct. 22. Water visibility is 14 feet and the water temperature is 53.6 degrees F. River flows could change at any time so boaters and anglers should remain alert for this possibility.
Kalama River – 16 bank anglers kept 1 coho. 1 boat/2 rods had no catch.
Lewis River – 106 bank anglers kept 5 chinook, 9 coho jacks and released 5 chinook, 1 chinook jack and 1 coho jack. 19 boats/37 rods kept 1 chinook, 3 chinook jacks, 3 coho, 9 coho jacks, 1 steelhead and released 3 chinook and 5 coho jacks.
Wind River – No anglers sampled.
Drano Lake – 2 bank anglers had no catch. 3 boats/7 rods kept 1 coho.
Klickitat River – 80 bank anglers kept 24 chinook, 7 chinook jacks, 2 coho, 1 steelhead and released 2 chinook and 1 steelhead. 2 boats/3 rods kept 2 coho.
Fishing Rule Changes:
- Grays River: effective October 6, 2018 until further notice, from the mouth upstream to the mouth of the South Fork: release all Coho.
- West Fork Grays River: effective October 6, 2018 until further notice, from the mouth upstream: release all Coho.
- Cowlitz River: Until further notice closed for Chinook retention from the mouth to the Barrier Dam including all lower Cowlitz tributaries, except the Toutle River. Until further notice, the closed waters section below the Cowlitz Salmon Hatchery Barrier Dam is 400’, at the posted markers.
- Washougal River, including Camas Slough: Until further notice closed for Chinook retention from the mouth to the bridge at Salmon Falls.
- Toutle River: effective October 6, 2018 until further notice, from the mouth upstream to the forks: release all Chinook.
- North Fork Toutle River: effective October 6, 2018 until further notice, from the mouth upstream to the posted markers below the fish collection facility: release all Chinook.
- Wind River: from the mouth to 400’ below Shepherd Falls, closed for steelhead retention and closed to night fishing for salmon and steelhead.
- Drano Lake: Effective Oct. 17, 2018 until further notice. Closed to all fishing in the waters downstream of markers on a point of land downstream and across from Little White Salmon National Fish Hatchery and upstream of the Highway 14 Bridge.
- White Salmon River: from the mouth to the county road bridge below the former location of the powerhouse, closed for steelhead retention and closed to night fishing for salmon and steelhead
From the mouth of the Columbia River upstream to McNary Dam including adjacent tributaries – Until further notice, white sturgeon open for catch and release fishing only. Fishing for sturgeon at night is closed.