Tag Archives: north cascaes

Olympic-Cascades Mountain Goat Project Wraps Up With 98 Translocated

Nearly 100 mountain goats from the Olympic Mountains are now kicking up their heels across Puget Sound in Washington’s Central and North Cascades after a two-week capture-and-transfer project wrapped up earlier this week.

A TRIO OF MOUNTAIN GOATS CLING TO ROCKS ON THE RIDGE ABOVE THE ROAD TO HURRICANE RIDGE. (OLYMPIC NATIONAL PARK)

State and federal wildlife officials plan to come back the next two summers to remove as many billies, nannies and kids from the rugged peaks of the peninsula, where the species was introduced in the 1920s by hunters, as they can to help bolster herds in their native habitat along the spine of the Evergreen State and reduce environmental damage from the species in the Olympics.

By the numbers from a joint Olympic National Park-Mt. Baker Snoqualmie National Forest-WDFW press release, here’s what the first year’s effort looks like:

Olympic Range mountain goat population pre-project: ~725

Original introduction: 12 animals (released 1925 to 1929 near Lake Crescent)

Mountain goats captured: 115

Translocated to Cascades: 98

Nannies translocated: 68

Billies translocated: 30

Nannyless kids transferred to Northwest Trek: 6

Capture mortalities: 6

Euthanized: 3 (“unfit for translocation,” per NPS)

Transport mortalities: 2

People involved: 175 (National Park Service, U.S. Forest Service, area tribes, Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, Leading Edge Aviation, etc.)

Volunteers: 77 (from WDFW)

Length of operation: 14 days

Flyable days: 10* (work ended early on several days, per NPS)

Cascade release sites: 5 (2 near Darrington, 1 north of Rainy and Washington Passes in the North Cascades, 1 northwest of Kachess Lake by Snoqualmie Pass, and 1 in the headwaters of the Cedar River southwest of Snoqualmie Pass)

Estimated results of three-year project: 90 percent removal of population (“The remaining 10 percent would be addressed through ongoing maintenance activities which would involve opportunistic ground- and helicopter-based lethal removal of mountain goats, with a focus on areas near high visitor use and areas where goats are causing resource damage,” says the park service.)