THE FOLLOWING WDFW FISHING REPORT WAS TRANSMITTED BY BRYANT SPELLMAN
November 5, 2018
Columbia River Mainstem from the mouth upstream to McNary Dam
- From the Buoy 10 line upstream to the Highway 395 Bridge at Pasco:
- Closed to angling for and retention of salmon and steelhead.
Columbia River Tributaries
Grays River – 18 bank anglers released 5 coho. 1 boat/3 rods had no catch.
Skamokawa Creek – No anglers sampled.
Elochoman River – 3 bank anglers had no catch.
Abernathy Creek – 1 bank angler had no catch.
Mill Creek – No anglers sampled.
Germany Creek – 1 bank angler had no catch.
Cowlitz River – I-5 Br downstream: 22 bank rods had no catch. 2 boats/4 rods released 1 chinook.
Above the I-5 Br: 53 bank rods kept 4 coho jacks and released 10 chinook, 4 coho jacks, 1 steelhead and 3 cutthroat. 8 boats/21 rods kept 1 coho and 18 coho jacks.
Last week, Tacoma Power employees recovered 935 coho adults, 2,717 coho jacks, 110 fall Chinook adults, 32 fall Chinook jacks, 73 cutthroat trout and 11 summer-run steelhead adults during seven days of operations at the Cowlitz Salmon Hatchery separator.
During the past week, Tacoma Power released 181 coho adults and 428 coho jacks into the Cispus River near Randle and they released 77 coho adults and 214 coho jacks at the Franklin Bridge release site in Packwood.
Tacoma Power released 242 coho adults, 1,212 coho jacks, 33 fall Chinook adults, 22 fall Chinook jacks and six cutthroat trout into the Tilton River at Gust Backstrom Park in Morton, and they released 227 coho adults and 879 coho jacks into Lake Scanewa in Randle.
River flows at Mayfield Dam are approximately 3,540 cubic feet per second on Monday, Oct. 29. Water visibility is 11 feet and the water temperature is 54.14 degrees F. River flows could change at any time so boaters and anglers should remain alert for this possibility
Kalama River – 57 bank anglers kept 2 chinook, 1 chinook jack, 1 coho, 1 steelhead and released 1 chinook, 1 coho and 1 steelhead.
Lewis River – 86 bank rods kept 6 coho, 2 coho jacks and released 2 coho and 2 coho jacks. 15 boats/37 rods kept 1 chinook jack, 7 coho and 4 coho jacks.
East Fork Lewis River – 2 bank anglers had no catch.
Salmon Creek – 6 bank anglers had no catch.
Wind River – No anglers sampled.
Klickitat River – 46 bank anglers kept 2 chinook, 16 coho, 4 coho jacks and released 4 chinook.
Fishing Rule Changes:
- Grays River: effective October 6, 2018 until further notice, from the mouth upstream to the mouth of the South Fork: release all Coho.
- West Fork Grays River: effective October 6, 2018 until further notice, from the mouth upstream: release all Coho.
- Cowlitz River: Until further notice closed for Chinook retention from the mouth to the Barrier Dam including all lower Cowlitz tributaries, except the Toutle River. Until further notice, the closed waters section below the Cowlitz Salmon Hatchery Barrier Dam is 400’, at the posted markers.
- Washougal River, including Camas Slough: Until further notice closed for Chinook retention from the mouth to the bridge at Salmon Falls.
- Toutle River: effective October 6, 2018 until further notice, from the moth upstream to the forks: release all Chinook.
- North Fork Toutle River: effective October 6, 2018 until further notice, from the mouth upstream to the posted markers below the fish collection facility: release all Chinook.
- Wind River: from the mouth to 400’ below Shepherd Falls, closed for steelhead retention and closed to night fishing for salmon and steelhead.
- Drano Lake: Effective Oct. 17, 2018 until further notice. Closed to all fishing in the waters downstream of markers on a point of land downstream and across from Little White Salmon National Fish Hatchery and upstream of the Highway 14 Bridge.
- White Salmon River: from the mouth to the county road bridge below the former location of the powerhouse, closed for steelhead retention and closed to night fishing for salmon and steelhead
From the mouth of the Columbia River upstream to McNary Dam including adjacent tributaries – Until further notice, white sturgeon open for catch and release fishing only. Fishing for sturgeon at night is closed.